Here’s a great prayer for our church (and maybe also for worship teams). Romans 15:5-6 NES says this: “May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
After meditating on that verse here are a few conclusions I came to:
1. “May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you…harmony with one another” Paul recognized our need for endurance and encouragement from God in order to live in harmony with other believers in the church. We can’t do it on our own (no big surprise to anyone!).
2. By Paul’s example we are encouraged to ask for endurance and encouragement from God, who we are told grants them as a gift.
3. “in accord with Christ Jesus…” Paul points out that we should always judge what we call harmony by Jesus. Does the way we are treating the people in our church mirror his heart?
4. “That together you may with one voice glorify God…” To Paul, God-glorifying, one-voice worship is not about how good you sing. It’s about how deeply you love God and the others in the church family.
5. The idea of someone going to church just to worship privately in his own heart, while remaining completely isolated from the others who are part of the church is utterly unbiblical and would be unfathomable to Paul.